Take a break from the holiday meal planning and start the day with this Breakfast Butternut Squash Hash from our friends at Thermador.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1.5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves (about 1 small bunch), or other greens such as mizuna, mustard, or Swiss chard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- red chili flakes, optional
- 4-6 large eggs
- about 1-2 cups marinara sauce, optional
- Peel the butternut squash and remove inner seeds. Cut squash into bite-sized pieces, about 1/2” cubes. Make sure to keep the squash pieces the same for consistent cooking.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add olive oil, then add onion and cook for about 2 minutes until soft. Add butternut squash and cook for about 15 minutes or until the squash becomes almost cooked on the outside.
- Add kale, ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion salt, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir the spices into the vegetables until well combined and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until kale is crisp and butternut squash is completely cooked.
- Reduce heat to low and break eggs on top of squash mixture and cover with a lid. Cook the eggs until the whites have set and the yolk is to your desired texture.
- If desired, serve the squash and eggs with marinara sauce on top. Add additional red chili flakes for extra spice and flavor.