If you are looking for a perfect way to finish your dinner party, we have found a premium dessert. The rich, deep flavor of dark chocolate mousse is perfectly balanced by the light, crisp flavor of fresh berries. Use your favorite wine glasses to present this beautiful and delicious delight.
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) cold heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (170g) quality dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- Fresh berries, for garnish
In a clean, dry bowl, whip the egg whites and salt to soft peaks. Add the sugar and continue whipping to stiff peaks. Set aside. Whip the heavy cream and the vanilla extract to soft peaks and set aside. Place the chopped chocolate in a large metal bowl. Set over a pan of gently simmering water. Stirring frequently, heat the chocolate until fully melted and smooth. Remove the chocolate from the heat. Whisk in the whipped eggs whites. Fold the whipped cream using a rubber spatula. Spoon the mousse into the serving vessels and chill for about 1 hour or up to overnight.
Serve garnished with fresh berries. Serves 4-6.
- Be careful not to get any water into the chocolate as you are melting it or else the chocolate may seize.
- If you are unsure if you’ve melted the chocolate fully, you can run the mousse through a wire mesh strainer before spooning into the serving vessels.
- This chocolate mousse has a nice, fluffy texture. For a denser version, increase the chocolate amount to 8 ounces.
Recipe from our friends at Thermador.