- 1 1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted Butter (1 stick), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup cold Water (you may not end up using the full amount)
- 3 cups (about 1 1/2 lbs.) sliced Stone fruit of your choice (peaches, apricots, plums, pluots, etc…)
- Zest from 1/2 medium Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- pinch Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 7 ounces Almond Paste, optional
- Sliced Almonds, for garnish
- Egg wash (1 egg beat with @ 2 tablespoons water), for brushing crust
- optional – Turbinado Sugar, for dusting the crust
- optional – fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
In a bowl, pinch together the flour, butter, sugar, and salt with your fingertips until most of the big chunks of butter are flattened or broken up and there is no remaining dry flour sections.
Incorporate the enough of the cold water into the flour until the mixture binds together and forms a rough ball. Knead the ball just until the dough begins to become smooth. Don’t overwork the dough or else it will become tough.
Roll the dough into a ball, and then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes (can be chilled overnight or frozen for future use).
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
In a bowl, gently combine the sliced stone fruit, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Set aside.
On a floured surface, roll the disk out to a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Gently transfer the dough onto the prepared baking sheet pan.
Optional-Roll the almond paste out into a 9-inch circle. Place in the center of the rolled out dough.
Layer the fruit filling out evenly over the almond paste circle (if using) or to within about 2 inches of the outside edge. Fold the edge of the dough over the filling, creasing and folding until completing the circle. Brush the crust with the egg wash. If using, sprinkle the turbinado sugar around the crust.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling heartily. Garnish with sliced almonds, allow to cool at least 20 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature garnished with fresh thyme if desired.